If you’ve read my other posts, you might have noticed the name ‘KLOOK‘ popping up several times. If you don’t know what it is, it’s about time that you do!
KLOOK is something that I think all independent travelers out there should have, especially if they love discounts. Who doesn’t, right?
It has literally saved me hundreds of dollars in travel expenses. And in this article, I’m going to share with you how.
For the record, this is not a sponsored post. However, it does contain affiliate links, which means that I will earn a small commission if you purchase using the links at no extra cost to you. This allows me to keep this blog alive and continue sharing travel tips with you! I only recommend products and services that I would personally use or have had positive personal experiences with.
What is KLOOK?
I’m sure you have used apps to book hotels, flight tickets, movie tickets, delivery services, car rides, and a bunch of other stuff before. Pretty much everything can be booked online these days — all you have to do is download the necessary apps.
KLOOK is one of those booking apps, but it focuses on travel-related services. On KLOOK, you can book tours, entrance tickets, airport transfers, local SIM cards, and many other travel services at great prices.
If you’re wondering what the name means, it actually came from the words “keep looking” — which is exactly what their team aims to do: to keep looking for the best travel deals for you! At the same time, they’re also encouraging you to keep exploring the world and to keep expanding your horizons.
Founded in Hong Kong in 2014, KLOOK became the world’s most-searched travel activity platform within just a few years. It now operates in over 70 countries across 6 continents.
What Kind of Services are Offered on KLOOK?
Although KLOOK started out by offering only city tours and activities, they have now expanded far beyond that. These are some of the other services available:
- Entrance tickets
- Railway passes
- Bus and ferry tickets
- Car, scooter, and motorbike rentals
- Hotel bookings
- Restaurant bookings, vouchers, and packages
- Spa & massage bookings
- SIM cards & portable WiFi
- Travel gear rentals
- Free travel guide and itinerary suggestions
So, whether you’re looking for a skip-the-queue ticket to the Eiffel Tower, a scenic helicopter ride over Cape Town, a full-body spa treatment in Bali, a Northern Lights tour in Iceland, or a railway pass that covers the whole of Japan, you can be sure that KLOOK has it all.
And the following are some of the activities that I have personally tried. Feel free to click on each one to read my full reviews.
The Benefits of Using KLOOK
- Handpicked experiences. Every day, KLOOK experts from all over the world work hard to uncover and curate the best travel experiences for you. So, apart from the usual sightseeing tours, you will also discover something out of the ordinary, like this ghost tour in Adelaide Prison, or this ninja workshop in Osaka.
- Best prices guaranteed. As the official partner of top attractions and operators worldwide, KLOOK ensures that you get the best deals for your bookings — sometimes up to 60% off retail prices! In fact, if you find a better deal elsewhere, they will refund you the difference.
- Trusted service. With millions of verified user reviews, you can count on getting honest, unfiltered feedback about a particular service before you book. Most users also upload photos in their reviews, giving you an even clearer idea of what to expect.
- Seamless booking. The platform’s easy-to-use app and strict security measure ensures that you have a seamless and secure booking experience. You can book anytime, anywhere using KLOOK website or app.
- Most of the activities and tickets provide instant confirmation — no printed tickets required. What this means is that if you happen to go to a tourist attraction and find that the queue is too long, you can immediately book an express ticket on your KLOOK app and skip the queue. How nifty is that?
- Credit accumulation. This is probably my favorite thing about KLOOK. Not only do you get great discounts on every booking, you also get to earn credits from them. And credits mean $$! Ka-ching!
- Referral program. Another way to make money on KLOOK is by inviting your friends to join. After your friend signs up and completes an activity, you will get a RM13.10 (USD 3.20) reward, which you can then use to pay for your next booking. Your friend also gets the same amount as a new member.
– How do you earn KLOOK credits?
Getting discounts on bookings is one thing, but getting credits on top of that is quite another. And they’re super easy to earn! You can earn KLOOK credits by:
- Completing an activity on KLOOK. When you complete an activity on KLOOK, you will receive 1% – 5% of the activity price in KLOOK credits. So, the more expensive the activity, the more credit you will get. The credits will appear in your KLOOK account 2 days after you complete the activity.
- Leaving a review. After completing any KLOOK activity, you will be invited to leave a review. Each review (with photos) can earn you 80 credits, which will appear in your account immediately. But make sure that the photos you upload are relevant to the activity and not just some random selfies!
As a guideline, 10 credits = 1 Hong Kong Dollar, so for each review that you write, you’ll get HKD 8 (approximately USD 1 / MYR 4). That’s a good amount of money for such a simple task!
Now imagine completing 10 activities and writing 10 reviews, and combine that with rewards you earn from inviting your friends…
– How do you use KLOOK credits?
When you have collected at least 10 credits, you can choose to use them to pay for your next booking with KLOOK. So, the more things you do on KLOOK, the more cashbacks you will get, which will allow you to do more activities.
Your friends are going to wonder how you get so much money to do all these interesting tours abroad.
Is KLOOK Legit?
KLOOK is an established platform in Asia, but it has only recently started to pave its way in the Western Hemisphere. It’s understandable to be wary of something you’ve never heard of before, especially if it sounds too good to be true.
Well, having used it so many times over the past few years, I can assure you that it is. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with them so far.
Or maybe this photo of me in Nusa Penida would do the trick. To get there, I took a fast boat from Bali, booked on KLOOK.
Is KLOOK Safe to Use?
As far as payment transactions go, KLOOK is safe to use, as it employs secure third-party payment gateways to process your payment. If you choose to save your card information, your payment card details will be encrypted and stored securely within their payment gateways.
You can pay by credit/debit card (VISA, MasterCard, and American Express), PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, Alipay, and WeChat Pay, subject to availability in your selected currency or region.
KLOOK is very upfront about their cancellation policies. Each activity states clearly on its booking page whether there is free cancellation, conditional cancellation, or no cancellation allowed.
If you have any questions or disputes regarding your refunds, you can always reach Klook via live chat and let them assist you.
Everything sounds good so far…
BUT! (Yes, there’s always a but).
Do keep in mind that Klook is only a booking platform, and as such, does not actually operate the tours. The tours are run by third-party tour companies that have listed their services on KLOOK — just the same way that Booking.com and Agoda only offer hotel-booking services and don’t actually own or run those hotels.
So, make sure you read reviews very carefully and see what previous customers have had to say about the activity before you make your booking.
How to Use KLOOK
You can use KLOOK either via desktop or via their mobile app (available for both Android and iOS), but I recommend downloading the app, as it sometimes has special promotions that are not available on the desktop version. Besides, you will often have to show the QR code to the tour operator as a confirmation of your booking, and this is easier done with the app.
Once you have downloaded and installed the KLOOK app, you are free to browse travel experiences by destination, or simply filter through the various categories. But to make a booking, you will have to create an account.
When browsing through the activities, look out for the “Instant Confirmation” lightning bolt next to the activity price.
This symbol means that you will receive your booking voucher via e-mail or the KLOOK app within 5 minutes after completing the payment, which is especially useful when you want to buy entrance tickets on the spot to skip the queue.
You can check the Bookings tab to see your current and past bookings. To get the QR code, click on “View Voucher”.
And that’s it! It’s that simple. You can then start earning credits through your completed activities, reviews, and referrals.
Since I first downloaded this app, KLOOK has been nothing but amazing. It introduces me to destinations and activities that I wouldn’t have heard of otherwise, and lets me save a lot of money in the process.
Just make sure that you have read the reviews carefully and don’t forget to leave your own reviews to help other travelers make their decisions.
KLOOK is a fantastic travel-booking app that every traveler should have. Now that we’re unable to travel internationally, perhaps you could download the app and see if there are any great deals in your own neighborhood. I found a few in my hometown that I’d love to try:
- Pottery-Making Class in Kuala Lumpur
- ARCH Model-Making Workshop at KL City Gallery
- Aboriginal Mah Meri Cultural Village Tour
- The Foundry Workshop in Royal Selangor, Kuala Lumpur
For those of you who are currently in Malaysia or planning to visit in the near future, I have a little something for you: